Vulcan software uses Environment Variables to specify the line styles, symbols libraries and plot templates that are used by the program. This allows everyone on site to use the same base templates, but if you’ve never worked with Environment Variables before they can be confusing.
The plot templates, symbols libraries and line styles in Vulcan are stored in a folder called ‘Resources.’ This folder is installed to the program files folder when Vulcan is installed and allows all users to access the default templates. If you work at a large site that has many Vulcan users who all need access to the same ‘Resources’ folder then a version on the network is perfect for you. A simple Environment Variable points to the location of the folder and Vulcan will do the rest.
If your site doesn’t already have a ‘Resources’ folder you can copy the default one to the network and start customizing templates. If your company already has a folder set up, here’s how you access it in Windows 7:
1) Go to the start icon, right-click on ‘Computer’ and select ‘Properties.’
2) Select ‘Advanced system settings.’
3) In the ‘Advanced’ tab select the ‘Environment Variables’ button.
4) The ‘Environment Variables’ panel has two parts. The top part is for ‘User Variables’ and the bottom half is for ‘System Variables.’ In the ‘User Variables’ section click the ‘New…’ button.
5) In the ‘New User Variable’ panel set the variable name and value:
a. Variable name: ENVIS_RESO
b. Variable value: path to the ‘Resources’ folder i.e. E:\vulcan\resources
6) The variable name and value are case sensitive, please type carefully.
7) Exit the ‘New User Variable’ panel by clicking ‘OK.’
8) Exit the ‘Environment Variables’ panel by clicking ‘OK.’
9) Exit the ‘System Properties’ panel by clicking ‘OK.’
10) Clicking ‘Cancel’ on any of these panels may not save the changes and you will get to do them all over again.
11) If Vulcan is open, restart Vulcan. Environment Variables are read at startup.
Now that everyone is using the same ‘Resources’ folder all plot templates and symbols libraries will be the same for everyone. Just be careful not to delete the plot templates that everyone else is using.